ScienceDaily: Latest Science News
Breaking science news and articles on global warming, extrasolar planets, stem cells, bird flu, autism, nanotechnology, dinosaurs, evolution -- the latest discoveries in astronomy, anthropology, biology, chemistry, climate and environment, computers, engineering, health and medicine, math, physics, psychology, technology, and more -- from the world's leading universities and research organizations.
Cold, salty and promiscuous: Gene-shuffling microbes dominate Antarctica's Deep Lake
Sep 30th 2013, 19:27
Sep. 30, 2013 — Sequestered in Antarctica's Vestfold Hills, Deep Lake became isolated from the ocean 3,500 years ago by the Antarctic continent rising, resulting in a saltwater ecosystem that remains liquid in extreme cold, and providing researchers a unique niche for studying the evolution of the microbes that now thrive under such conditions. Deep Lake's microscopic inhabitants are dominated by haloarchaea, microbes that require high salt concentrations to grow and are naturally adapted to conditions -- at minus 20°C -- that would prove lethally cold to other organisms. In a detailed analysis published online the week of September 30, 2013 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), researchers have, for the first time, been able to get a complete ecological picture of the Deep Lake microbial community.
A team led by Rick Cavicchioli of the University of New South Wales, Australia partnered with the U.S. Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute (DOE JGI) to generate sequence data from DNA isolated from individual microbes and compared them with metagenomic (microbial community) information sampled at various depths of Deep Lake.
"Understanding how haloarchaea can thrive in Deep Lake could be used to develop engineering concepts for reducing energy costs in a variety of situations, such as for cleaning up contaminated sites in permanently or seasonally cold regions," Cavicchioli said. Owing to the ability of salt-loving enzymes to function under extremes, he suggests they could also be used as catalysts for peptide synthesis and enhanced oil recovery, and can function in water-organic solvent mixtures. "These enzymes will be especially useful for transforming contaminated sites with particularly high levels of petroleum-based products," he added.
Deep Lake's extremes have rendered the microbial neighborhood rather homogeneous. Four isolates in the study represented about 72 percent of the cells in the community. Though gene exchange across species boundaries is considered infrequent, the researchers observed that haloarchaea living in the Lake's hypersaline environment practice it comparatively often, like neighbors "chewing the fat" in a small-town coffee klatch. "It's intriguing that while gene exchange is rampant, species lineages appear to be maintained by virtue of each species having a high level of specialization, enabling niche partitioning and peaceful coexistence," said Cavicchioli of their findings. "Haloarchaea are known for being 'promiscuous,' that is, prone to exchange DNA between themselves. Our study demonstrated that this exchange occurs at a much higher level than has previously been documented in nature. They communicate, share, specialize, and coexist."
What distinguishes this "conversation" is that the haloarchaea of Deep Lake exchange the information of DNA not just between species but among distinct genera, and moreover in huge tranches, some 35,000 letters of code, with not a letter out of place. While it may be slow, that give-and-take is chock full of essential information and the word gets around the community. "The long stretches of highly identical shared sequence between the different lake organisms spurred a strong suspicion of potential cross-contamination at first," said Tanja Woyke, Microbial Program Lead at the DOE JGI and co-author of the study. "By painstaking validation of the manually finished and curated genomes, however, we were able to exclude any process-introduced artifacts and confirm that this is true inter-genera gene exchange."
Cavicchioli noted that, "as the content being shifted around lack core genes, it speaks to these microbes' ability to be flexible and collaborative. This shuttled gene content could confer such benefits as resistance to viruses or bolster their ability to respond to specific environmental factors. Moreover, the markers that we analyzed indicated that a high level of gene exchange occurs throughout the Deep Lake community."
One particular microbial player, dubbed tADL, represented about 44 percent of the cell content of the lake community, which is one of the least productive environments on the planet with respect to synthesis of organic compounds from carbon dioxide. Most life on earth is dependent on this process, but microbial life in Deep Lake has only six generations of cell division annually, so tADL's comparatively "high energy" metabolism makes it adept at degrading carbohydrates, with a particular taste for glycerol, a natural byproduct of the light-harvesting algae. "A key thing about what they eat is that by choosing different food sources they can coexist and continue to reproduce and eke out a living in relative harmony," said Cavicchioli.
Cavicchioli acknowledged that the PNAS paper represents the synthesis of the more striking findings that arose from merging and analyzing collective data sets that have been assembled over the last eight years. Along the way, a major milestone logged was the genome sequencing and analysis of the first member of the archaeal branch of the tree of life ever isolated from a polar environment.
"Every time we 'poke an omics stick' in there we find things we never expected," Cavicchioli said. "Each lake also has its own unique characteristics, so there is a lot more to be discovered. These Antarctic expeditions represent big logistical investments, with millions in funding from the Australian Antarctic Division and the Australian Antarctic Science Program leveraging the powerful resources of JGI. As a long-term investment strategy, this has proven to be an excellent model of how a flexible group of clever scientists can provide a sure path for enabling strong science to come to fruition."
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers. Five Filters recommends: Massacres That Matter - Part 1 - 'Responsibility To Protect' In Egypt, Libya And SyriaMassacres That Matter - Part 2 - The Media Response On Egypt, Libya And SyriaNational demonstration: No attack on Syria - Saturday 31 August, 12 noon, Temple Place, London, UK
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at http://blogtrottr.com
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe here:
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Ingredient of h...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: First cloud map...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Critical gaps d...
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 大Or迷你由你挑 十一购机的八大选择
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 什么是4G LTE？移动通信网络知识普及
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 苍井空微博晒土豪金iPhone 5s
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: When cells 'eat...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Cold, salty and...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Improving lithi...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Traces of immen...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Optical sensors...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Engineers inven...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Quantum compute...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: First global st...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Fique fibers fr...
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: IBM因招聘中歧视美国公民被罚款4.44万美元
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Climate models ...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: A cosmic weathe...
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 摩托罗拉对欧盟滥用专利指控进行辩解
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 里昂证券维持Facebook买入评级 目标价60美元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 中国概念股周一早盘普跌 优酷土豆跌3%
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: NASA wants inve...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Commercial carg...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Astronauts prac...
- Solidot: 基地组织因应美国监听改变通信手段
- Solidot: 廉价镜头也能拍出高质量照片
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 发展快竞争大 无人驾驶规范化成必要
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 调查显示PS4比Xbox One更受美消费者青睐
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 名表厂商对智能手表反应冷淡 恐品牌吸引力拉低
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 国民技术前三季度业绩同比预减60%
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 电子垃圾回收正规军遭遇原材料之困
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 新东方10月23日发布2014财年第一财季财报
- Solidot: 中国的论文造假已达成产业规模
- Solidot: Phil Zimmermann呼吁用户不要使用电子邮件
- Solidot: 中国整治多家移动新闻客户端
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Largest, most a...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Tiny sensor use...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Novel technolog...
- Solidot: 用红外隐形眼镜作弊的男子被判两年徒刑
- Solidot: 为什么说自由软件比以往任何时候更重要
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 太空灰iPad 5、iPad mini 2谍照爆出
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 国庆节优惠啦 联想大屏智能K900仅2399
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 外形细腻 双四核魅族MX3仅售2498元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 盛大将入驻上海自贸区 欲开办合资银行
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 赵楠：周鸿t为何打出遭围剿这张牌
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 目前已是最低 黑莓全键盘Q10报价3200
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 比卡片机还给力 诺基亚1020行货4580元
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Combining Chine...
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 海信周厚健：互联网电视还没有革命性变化
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: “硅谷诗人”乔布斯：人生如莎翁戏剧般经典
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: “生命方舟”：技术创新领先者的市场考验
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 河北父子用废旧零件手工焊接4米高擎天柱
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 家用游戏机禁令取消后的中国游戏市场
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 尼康单反数码后背专利公布 可换芯不换机
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 城镇化加速 科技园区转型升级
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 柯达重组 昔日难现
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 4G年内登场 运营商生态重建
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 512G版Surface Pro 2开放预订：售1万1千元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 大屏智能三防悍将 索尼XL39h仅售3500
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 不必等十一 港版苹果iPhone 5售3810元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 音质饱满震撼 雅兰仕2.1音箱特价99元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 十一出游不带相机 近期热门拍照强机推荐
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 小米3高通骁龙800版：依旧未开始量产
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 黑莓联合创始人曾极力反对使用触摸屏
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 微软商店回收旧iPhone 最少能折200美元代金券
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 平板电脑Kindle Fire HD翻新仅售140美金
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 翻转自拍随我型 卡西欧ZR1000报2099元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 小微单DC价 尼康J1套机仅售2150元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 拒绝平庸 复古准专业DC富士X20售3599
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 时尚跨界合作 徕卡D-lux6行货7500元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 入门级微单相机 索尼NEX-3N套机2600元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 国庆出游必备 宾得防水单反K-30特价2800
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 苹果回应"漏电"多为正常机壳电压 被指推卸责任
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 高通颜辰巍谈芯片发展：功能强大离不开软硬结合
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: “神舟”下月也出智能手机 价格是小米价格除以2
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 联想刘军：高端智能手机市场，我们来了
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 联通手机营业厅全面升级 充值可打折
- Solidot: 12月起辽宁“散布谣言”者可断网6个月
- Solidot: 20多年开发后GNU Hurd发布0.5版
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: SUNRISE offers ...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: First step to r...
- Solidot: 苏丹切断互联网，抗议者靠短信联络
- Solidot: 英国研究发现音乐家的大脑更敏锐
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 最新中国南极科考站地区系列卫星影像图发布
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 普京成电游主角大战僵尸
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 男子手机突然掉线 4分钟后账户被转走27万元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 联想推出VIBE高端子品牌及首款手机VIBE X
- Solidot: GNU诞生三十周年
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 洗衣机绞死女童事件家属：海尔声明是伤口洒盐
- Confirm your unsubscription from '科技要闻-新浪科技'
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 全国35个城市一卡通下月实现互联
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 日本网络银行非法汇款案件激增 近九成涉中国人
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 英特尔投资谷歌眼镜竞争对手Recon
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Hyperfractionat...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Anti-cancer dru...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Yoga in menopau...
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 第一代iPhone开发的幕后故事
- Solidot: Valve宣布Steam手柄
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 三星提交新建议 试图和解欧盟指控
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 苹果A7芯片电路照片曝光 新增SRAM模块
- ▼ 九月 (1315)