ScienceDaily: Latest Science News
Breaking science news and articles on global warming, extrasolar planets, stem cells, bird flu, autism, nanotechnology, dinosaurs, evolution -- the latest discoveries in astronomy, anthropology, biology, chemistry, climate and environment, computers, engineering, health and medicine, math, physics, psychology, technology, and more -- from the world's leading universities and research organizations.
When cells 'eat' their own power plants: Scientists solve mystery of basic cellular process
Sep 30th 2013, 18:05
Sep. 30, 2013 — A mix of serendipity and dogged laboratory work allowed a diverse team of University of Pittsburgh scientists to report in the Oct. 1 issue of Nature Cell Biology that they had solved the mystery of a basic biological function essential to cellular health.
By discovering a mechanism by which mitochondria -- tiny structures inside cells often described as "power plants" -- signal that they are damaged and need to be eliminated, the Pitt team has opened the door to potential research into cures for disorders such as Parkinson's disease that are believed to be caused by dysfunctional mitochondria in neurons.
"It's a survival process. Cells activate to get rid of bad mitochondria and consolidate good mitochondria. If this process succeeds, then the good ones can proliferate and the cells thrive," said Valerian Kagan, Ph.D., D.Sc., a senior author on the paper and professor and vice chair of the Pitt Graduate School of Public Health's Department of Environmental and Occupational Health. "It's a beautiful, efficient mechanism that we will seek to target and model in developing new drugs and treatments."
Dr. Kagan, who, as a recipient of a Fulbright Scholar grant, currently is serving as visiting research chair in science and the environment at McMaster University in Ontario, Canada, likened the process to cooking a Thanksgiving turkey.
"You put the turkey in the oven and the outside becomes golden, but you can't just look at it to know it's ready. So you put a thermometer in, and when it pops up, you know you can eat it," he said. "Mitochondria give out a similar 'eat me' signal to cells when they are done functioning properly."
Cardiolipins, named because they were first found in heart tissue, are a component on the inner membrane of mitochondria. When a mitochondrion is damaged, the cardiolipins move from its inner membrane to its outer membrane, where they encourage the cell to destroy the entire mitochondrion.
However, that is only part of the process, says Charleen T. Chu, M.D., Ph.D., professor and the A. Julio Martinez Chair in Neuropathology in the Pitt School of Medicine's Department of Pathology, another senior author of the study. "It's not just the turkey timer going off; it's a question of who's holding the hot mitt to bring it to the dining room?" That turns out to be a protein called LC3. One part of LC3 binds to cardiolipin, and LC3 causes a specialized structure to form around the mitochondrion to carry it to the digestive centers of the cell.
The research arose nearly a decade ago when Dr. Kagan had a conversation with Dr. Chu at a research conference. Dr. Chu, who studies autophagy, or "self-eating," in Parkinson's disease, was seeking a change on the mitochondrial surface that could signal to LC3 to bring in the damaged organelle for recycling. It turned out they were working on different sides of the same puzzle.
Together with Hülya Bayır, M.D., research director of pediatric critical care medicine, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC and professor, Pitt's Department of Critical Care Medicine, and a team of nearly two dozen scientists, the three senior authors worked out how the pieces of the mitochondria signaling problem fit together.
Now that they've worked out the basic mechanism, Dr. Chu indicates that many more research directions will likely follow.
"There are so many follow-up questions," she said. "What is the process that triggers the cardiolipin to move outside the mitochondria? How does this pathway fit in with other pathways that affect onset of diseases like Parkinson's? Interestingly, two familial Parkinson's disease genes also are linked to mitochondrial removal."
Dr. Bayir explained that while this process may happen in all cells with mitochondria, it is particularly important that it functions correctly in neuronal cells because these cells do not divide and regenerate as readily as cells in other parts of the body.
"I think these findings have huge implications for brain injury patients," she said. "The mitochondrial 'eat me' signaling process could be a therapeutic target in the sense that you need a certain level of clearance of damaged mitochondria. But, on the other hand, you don't want the clearing process to go on unchecked. You must have a level of balance, which is something we could seek to achieve with medications or therapy if the body is not able to find that balance itself."
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers. Five Filters recommends: Massacres That Matter - Part 1 - 'Responsibility To Protect' In Egypt, Libya And SyriaMassacres That Matter - Part 2 - The Media Response On Egypt, Libya And SyriaNational demonstration: No attack on Syria - Saturday 31 August, 12 noon, Temple Place, London, UK
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at http://blogtrottr.com
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe here:
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Ingredient of h...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: First cloud map...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Critical gaps d...
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 大Or迷你由你挑 十一购机的八大选择
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 什么是4G LTE？移动通信网络知识普及
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 苍井空微博晒土豪金iPhone 5s
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: When cells 'eat...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Cold, salty and...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Improving lithi...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Traces of immen...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Optical sensors...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Engineers inven...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Quantum compute...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: First global st...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Fique fibers fr...
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: IBM因招聘中歧视美国公民被罚款4.44万美元
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Climate models ...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: A cosmic weathe...
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 摩托罗拉对欧盟滥用专利指控进行辩解
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 里昂证券维持Facebook买入评级 目标价60美元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 中国概念股周一早盘普跌 优酷土豆跌3%
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: NASA wants inve...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Commercial carg...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Astronauts prac...
- Solidot: 基地组织因应美国监听改变通信手段
- Solidot: 廉价镜头也能拍出高质量照片
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 发展快竞争大 无人驾驶规范化成必要
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 调查显示PS4比Xbox One更受美消费者青睐
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 名表厂商对智能手表反应冷淡 恐品牌吸引力拉低
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 国民技术前三季度业绩同比预减60%
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 电子垃圾回收正规军遭遇原材料之困
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 新东方10月23日发布2014财年第一财季财报
- Solidot: 中国的论文造假已达成产业规模
- Solidot: Phil Zimmermann呼吁用户不要使用电子邮件
- Solidot: 中国整治多家移动新闻客户端
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Largest, most a...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Tiny sensor use...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Novel technolog...
- Solidot: 用红外隐形眼镜作弊的男子被判两年徒刑
- Solidot: 为什么说自由软件比以往任何时候更重要
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 太空灰iPad 5、iPad mini 2谍照爆出
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 国庆节优惠啦 联想大屏智能K900仅2399
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 外形细腻 双四核魅族MX3仅售2498元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 盛大将入驻上海自贸区 欲开办合资银行
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 赵楠：周鸿t为何打出遭围剿这张牌
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 目前已是最低 黑莓全键盘Q10报价3200
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 比卡片机还给力 诺基亚1020行货4580元
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Combining Chine...
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 海信周厚健：互联网电视还没有革命性变化
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: “硅谷诗人”乔布斯：人生如莎翁戏剧般经典
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: “生命方舟”：技术创新领先者的市场考验
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 河北父子用废旧零件手工焊接4米高擎天柱
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 家用游戏机禁令取消后的中国游戏市场
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 尼康单反数码后背专利公布 可换芯不换机
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 城镇化加速 科技园区转型升级
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 柯达重组 昔日难现
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 4G年内登场 运营商生态重建
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 512G版Surface Pro 2开放预订：售1万1千元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 大屏智能三防悍将 索尼XL39h仅售3500
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 不必等十一 港版苹果iPhone 5售3810元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 音质饱满震撼 雅兰仕2.1音箱特价99元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 十一出游不带相机 近期热门拍照强机推荐
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 小米3高通骁龙800版：依旧未开始量产
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 黑莓联合创始人曾极力反对使用触摸屏
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 微软商店回收旧iPhone 最少能折200美元代金券
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 平板电脑Kindle Fire HD翻新仅售140美金
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 翻转自拍随我型 卡西欧ZR1000报2099元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 小微单DC价 尼康J1套机仅售2150元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 拒绝平庸 复古准专业DC富士X20售3599
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 时尚跨界合作 徕卡D-lux6行货7500元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 入门级微单相机 索尼NEX-3N套机2600元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 国庆出游必备 宾得防水单反K-30特价2800
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 苹果回应"漏电"多为正常机壳电压 被指推卸责任
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 高通颜辰巍谈芯片发展：功能强大离不开软硬结合
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: “神舟”下月也出智能手机 价格是小米价格除以2
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 联想刘军：高端智能手机市场，我们来了
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 联通手机营业厅全面升级 充值可打折
- Solidot: 12月起辽宁“散布谣言”者可断网6个月
- Solidot: 20多年开发后GNU Hurd发布0.5版
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: SUNRISE offers ...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: First step to r...
- Solidot: 苏丹切断互联网，抗议者靠短信联络
- Solidot: 英国研究发现音乐家的大脑更敏锐
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 最新中国南极科考站地区系列卫星影像图发布
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 普京成电游主角大战僵尸
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 男子手机突然掉线 4分钟后账户被转走27万元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 联想推出VIBE高端子品牌及首款手机VIBE X
- Solidot: GNU诞生三十周年
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 洗衣机绞死女童事件家属：海尔声明是伤口洒盐
- Confirm your unsubscription from '科技要闻-新浪科技'
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 全国35个城市一卡通下月实现互联
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 日本网络银行非法汇款案件激增 近九成涉中国人
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 英特尔投资谷歌眼镜竞争对手Recon
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Hyperfractionat...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Anti-cancer dru...
- ScienceDaily: Latest Science News: Yoga in menopau...
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 第一代iPhone开发的幕后故事
- Solidot: Valve宣布Steam手柄
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 三星提交新建议 试图和解欧盟指控
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 苹果A7芯片电路照片曝光 新增SRAM模块
- ▼ 九月 (1315)